Home Local News Isaac Kiggundu convicted of spraying chemicals at couple in attack in Mayfield...

Isaac Kiggundu convicted of spraying chemicals at couple in attack in Mayfield Gardens, Dover

Advertise here from £20*

A thug flung dangerous chemicals into the face of a Good Samaritan who tried to stop him beating a woman in the street.

The victim suffered burns to his eyes alongside severe respiratory complications following the unprovoked attack in Dover.

Isaac Kiggundu
Isaac Kiggundu

Isaac Kiggundu, 25, was convicted at Canterbury Crown Court following a trial, where he claimed to have been wrongly identified.

The court heard Kiggundu was seen attacking the woman in Mayfield Gardens in November 2019.

Attempting to break up the assault, Jason and Sarah Head shouted at the suspect, who eventually backed off.

But Kiggundu reached into his pocket and drew an isotonic-style Lucozade bottle, then squirted its contents into Mr Head’s face, with some hitting Mrs Head’s ear.

“The male took out the Lucozade bottle with a red stripe on it, and purposefully aimed the content of that bottle at Mr Head,” prosecutor Caroline Knight said.

Mayfield Gardens in Dover. Picture: Google Street View
Mayfield Gardens in Dover. Picture: Google Street View

Mr Head felt burning inside his mouth, eyes and over his face, then rushed inside a nearby property and tried washing the chemical off him. Mrs Head also suffered burning to her ear.

When 999 was alerted Mr Head was rushed to Ashford’s William Harvey Hospital – he would suffer “severe respiratory symptoms some days later,” prosecutor Caroline Knight said.

“He was examined at the William Harvey and had suffered corneal burns to his eye,” she added.

CCTV captured Kiggundu’s grey Ford Mondeo at the scene, Ms Knight said.

When officers raided Kiggundu’s east London home they discovered dark clothes matching the descriptions given by Mr and Mrs Head.

“I was in a rush, I was literally getting ready to go out…”

A bottle identical to the one used in the attack was also seized, however forensic tests revealed no traces of noxious fluid on any item. Tests also found no remnants on Mr Head’s body or clothing.

However the findings didn’t rule out previous exposure to a caustic substance, acid for example, the court heard.

Giving evidence, Kiggundu said he drove from east London to visit a friend ‘Louise’, though he “couldn’t remember” her surname.

He claimed they were walking along Mayfield Gardens when a stranger, wearing similar clothes and glasses as himself assaulted her, prompting him to flee.

Asked why CCTV showed him quickly retreating to his car, he told jurors he was in a hurry for a social event.

“I was in a rush, I was literally getting ready to go out,” he said.

“Your reaction was to spray Mr Head in the face…”

Ms Knight dubbed Kiggundu’s account “nonsense” and “off the top of your head.”

She told him: “You had a row with Louise, these people intervened and your reaction was to spray Mr Head in the face causing harm, considerable pain and injury, and then you ran away.”

“No,” Kiggundu said.

But a jury unanimously convicted him after deliberating for just an hour and seven minutes.

Kiggundu, of Priory Road, East Ham, was convicted of two counts of occasioning actual bodily harm and possession of an offensive weapon. He will be sentenced later this year pending reports.

His previous convictions include assaulting an officer, criminal damage, failing to stop and dangerous driving. Recorder Stuart Trimmer QC granted Kiggundu conditional bail.

To read more of our in depth coverage of all of the major trials coming out of crown and magistrates’ courts across the county, click here

Read more: All the latest news from Dover

Courts Crime Dover Kent Sean Axtell

Source link