Original article from Kent Live
Jeremy Kyle has claimed he was made a "scapegoat" following the death of a guest on his show.
Two-and-a-half years on from when The Jeremy Kyle Show was cancelled in May 2019, the TV presenter has now broken his silence.
The show, which was filmed at Salford's MediaCity, was pulled off air and suspended indefinitely after a guest, Steve Dymond, 63, died.
A statement from ITV's CEO, Carolyn McCall, read at the time: "Given the gravity of recent events we have decided to end production of The Jeremy Kyle Show," as Manchester Evening News reports.
Signing up to the KentLive newsletter means you'll get the latest news direct to your inbox twice a day.
It couldn't be simpler and it takes seconds – simply press here, enter your email address and follow the instructions. You can also enter your email address in the box below the picture on most desktop and mobile platforms.
You can also sign up to our website and comment on our stories by pressing here and signing in.
"The Jeremy Kyle Show has had a loyal audience and has been made by a dedicated production team for 14 years, but now is the right time for the show to end.
"Everyone at ITV's thoughts and sympathies are with the family and friends of Steve Dymond."
Jeremy, 56, told The Sun how he was "completely devastated", and said: "I just couldn’t bring myself to leave the house or even open the curtains."
The presenter also revealed how he has been battling anxiety and depression following the guest's death, and is also taking pills for mental health conditions.
Jeremy added to the publication: "I’m not asking for any sympathy, but being completely honest, yes, it was a very difficult time.
"I was completely devastated at first and then I became completely demotivated. Every ounce of energy seemed to have gone and I just couldn’t bring myself to leave the house or even open the curtains.
"After Vic encouraged me I eventually did go to the doctor because of how low I was feeling — and I’ve never done that in my life. But it was the only way I could get myself through."
Dymond, who was a construction worker, was found dead at his home in Portsmouth on May 9 2019, shortly after appearing on the former ITV show.
During the filming, he had taken a lie-detector test to reveal whether he had cheated on his ex-fiancee.
A pre-inquest review heard last year he later died of a morphine overdose and a heart problem.
The inquest remains ongoing.
The Sun reports that due to the lengthy process, it prevents Jeremy from speaking in detail about it, though he said: "When the time is right and it is appropriate to do so, I will have my say."
However, he does believe he was made a scapegoat in the fallout.
He said: "I don’t want to sound ‘woe is me’, and as I’ve said the whole thing was a terrible tragedy — devastating for Steve Dymond’s friends and family, of course, and for the many people who worked on the show.
"But it did hit me hard. And it’s been awful to feel so scapegoated, and without being able to have my say about the accusations that often seemed to be levelled only at me.
"I’ve felt hunted and made out to be responsible for everything that ever took place around that show. But I was just the face of it."
Jeremy also said some of his fellow ITV stars were in touch in the wake of his show's cancellation.
"It didn’t take long for some people I’ve known for many, many years to just disappear," he said.
"Some people were brilliant — Piers Morgan reached out straight away because he’s that sort of guy, and he was brilliant.
"Kate Garraway, who is just extraordinary and has been through the most awful time herself recently, still takes time to get in touch, and I’ve helped her with her kids, too. Eamonn Holmes and Ruth Langsford were amazing, so was Rob Rinder, and Declan Donnelly."
Sign up to get the latest stories from Kent direct into your inbox here