Home Kent News Gravesend mum’s horror after puppy ‘nearly dies’ from eating Wilko chew bone

Gravesend mum’s horror after puppy ‘nearly dies’ from eating Wilko chew bone

3
0
Advertise here from £20*

Original article from Kent Live

A Gravesend mum has shared her horror after her puppy nearly died from eating a chew bone from Wilko.

Nicole Curtis walked in to find pet Loki choking on the raw hide bone, before rushing him to a vets where it was discovered part of the dog treat had aspirated his lung and caused his windpipe to collapse.

The 25-year-old had no idea of the dangers associated with the treats.

Read more: 12 gorgeous dogs from Dog’s Trust looking for their forever home in Kent

Nicole told KentLive: "It was terrible and they should be banned"

The student nurse, who lives in Gravesend with her three-year-old son Tommy, found her French bulldog foaming at the mouth after being given the bone.

Loki with Nicole's three-year-old son Tommy

Loki, who was born in February this year, was unresponsive and unable to control his bladder.

Nicole rushed him to Shrubbery Vets in Northfleet, where he was anaesthetised and given oxygen.

In a post on Facebook she wrote: "What a traumatic experience the last 3 hours have been! Walking in to Loki chocking on a chew bone and nearly losing him, rushing him to a vet.

"Thank god for Shrubbery Vets saving our beautiful pup.

The Wilko chew bone that nearly killed Loki (left) next to a fresh chew (right)

"I literally can’t believe what has happened – thank god he survived but we have a very sore, slightly sedated puppy who needs lots of love and rest.

"Never will I ever give him a chew bone like this again!"

Seven-month-old puppy Loki was lucky to survive and is now recovering at home.

Nicole said: "People (like me) do not realise how dangerous these are.

"Loki has aspirated bone into his lungs to so he’s on lots of antibiotics for the next few weeks and more vets trips."

She described the traumatic incident, adding: "A couple hours ago we walked into Loki completely out of it, foaming at the mouth, wetting himself and everything due to these bones.

Loki is a seven-month-old French bulldog

"The picture is what we gave him and how much was jammed down his throat causing his windpipe to collapse!

"We saved him just in time! Never will I ever make the same mistake again.

"I really didn’t think I would have him home with me and I don’t think the vets did either!

"They rushed him straight in, anaesthetised him and he’s been on oxygen! I’m so grateful he’s still with us – no walks, just rest for two weeks now my beautiful boy."

Vets' advice

Rawhide bones and other edible chews can pose a choking and blockage risk, as large pieces of rawhide can get stuck in the esophagus or other parts of the digestive tract.

According to Vets Now, if your dog is choking you should restrain it, carefully use a pair of scissors to cut off their collar, open their mouth and use a large pair of tweezers to retrieve or break any objects you can see.

They advise to never push an object with your fingers if it is lodged at the back of their throat and never stick your fingers down their throat if an object can't be seen, as this may cause damage to the delicate tissues .

If first-aid does not work within one to two minutes, you should get your dog to a vet as soon as possible.

Wilko has been approached for comment.

Original Article