Original article from Kent Live
More than 1,400 deaths in care homes across Kent have been linked to coronavirus since the start of the pandemic, new figures have revealed.
Data from the Care Quality Commission (CQC) has unveiled the number of death notifications involving COVID-19 from care homes between April 10, 2020 to March 31, 2021.
Kent recorded a total of 1,343 coronavirus care home deaths deaths across the county, with another 148 documented in Medway.
This means the total number of deaths is 1,491.
Signing up to the KentLive newsletter means you'll get the latest news direct to your inbox twice a day.
It couldn't be simpler and it takes seconds – simply press here, enter your email address and follow the instructions. You can also enter your email address in the box below the picture on most desktop and mobile platforms.
You can also sign up to our website and comment on our stories by pressing here and signing in.
Hawkinge House in Hawkinge, near Folkestone, and Hawkhurst House in Hawkhurst, Cranbrook, both recorded 34 COVID-related deaths – the highest amount in Kent.
They were both used as 'hot homes' by Kent County Council throughout the pandemic, accommodating adult patients who tested positive for the virus and were discharged from under-pressure Kent hospitals, helping free up bed capacity and ease pressure on the NHS.
The scheme, which also included Broadmeadow in Folkestone, was brought in to reduce the risk of them passing on the infection if they were returned straight to their usual home.
Some of the Kent care homes which reported the highest number of deaths from coronavirus throughout the pandemic, as listed on the CQC report, include:
- Hawkinge House, Hawkinge; 34 deaths
- Hawkhurst House, Hawkhurst; 34 deaths
- Lukestone Dementia Nursing Home, Maidstone; 28 deaths
- Warren Lodge Care Home, Ashford; 28 deaths
- Poplars Care Centre, Maidstone; 24 deaths
- Hazeldene House, Tunbridge Wells; 23 deaths
- Hartley House Care Home, Cranbrook; 19 deaths
- The Avenues Care Centre, Margate; 18 deaths
- Wombwell Hall Care Home, Gravesend; 17 deaths
- Bridge Haven, Canterbury; 16 deaths
- Connors House, Canterbury; 16 deaths
- Harpwood Care Home, Sevenoaks; 16 deaths
- Lavender Fields, Sevenoaks; 16 deaths
- Maurice House, Broadstairs; 15 deaths
- Emily Jackson House, Sevenoaks; 15 deaths
- Lyndhurst Rest Home, Whitstable; 15 deaths
- Bradbury Grange, Whitstable; 15 deaths
- Chamberlain Court, Tunbridge Wells; 15 deaths
- Saltwood Care Centre, Hythe; 14 deaths
- Winchester House, Rochester; 14 deaths
- Acacia House, Tenterden; 14 deaths
- Chippendayle Lodge Residential Care Home, Maidstone; 14 deaths
- The Vale Residential Care Home, Maidstone; 14 deaths
- Ashley Gardens Care Centre, Maidstone; 14 deaths
- Priory Mews Care Home, Dartford; 14 deaths