Home Kent News Folkestone garden waste collection services temporarily suspended

Folkestone garden waste collection services temporarily suspended

0
0
Advertise here from £20*

Original article from Kent Live

Garden waste collections in Folkestone have been temporarily suspended from Thursday (July 22).

The contractor, Veolia, has advised Folkestone and Hythe District Council that suspending the service will enable crews to prioritise clinical, food, refuse and recycling rounds.

Disruption among waste collection services has been rife across the county since the start of June.

READ MORE: Young woman seriously assaulted in field in Sittingbourne

This follows comments made by London Mayor Sadiq Khan which suggest the 'pingdemic' could eventually cause bin collections to grind to a halt, as the Mirror reports.

Signing up to the KentLive newsletter means you'll get the latest news direct to your inbox twice a day.

It couldn't be simpler and it takes seconds – simply press here, enter your email address and follow the instructions. You can also enter your email address in the box below the picture on most desktop and mobile platforms.

You can also sign up to our website and comment on our stories by pressing here and signing in.

Folkestone residents were left outraged last month when rubbish was uncollected in the hot weather, while recycling waste was not collected in Tonbridge.

In a statement to residents, Folkestone and Hythe District Council said: "We are sorry that due to problems being experienced by our contractor Veolia the garden waste collection service has been suspended temporarily.

"Residents who have subscribed for the service will receive a letter explaining that they will be offered a rebate for the loss of this service at the end of the financial year.

"We apologise to all those residents affected and we understand the difficulties this suspension may create.

"We are advised by Veolia that suspending the garden waste service will enable the Veolia crews to prioritise clinical, food, refuse and recycling rounds."

The latest disruption to waste collection services in Folkestone follows comments made by London Mayor Sadiq Khan warning bin collections could soon grind to a halt.

There are reports of staff shortages in the waste collection industry, and Khan suggests that the service could suffer should staff continue to be 'pinged' and told to isolate by the NHS app.

More than 600,000 people have been told to self-isolate by the NHS app in the week to July 14.

The Mayor told the Standard: "I am increasingly concerned about our ability to maintain current levels of absolutely crucial services like public transport, food supplies and bin collections."

The government is facing pressure to change the system currently in place, meaning key workers would be exempt from self-isolating and those who have been double-jabbed and also test negative would be exempt.

Confederation of British Industry director general Tony Danker echoed the call, saying the Government must end its "awkward compromise".

"The current approach to self-isolation is closing down the economy rather than opening it up," Mr Danker said.

"Businesses have exhausted their contingency plans and are at risk of grinding to a halt in the next few weeks."

Sign up to get the latest stories from Kent direct in to your inbox here

Original Article