Original article from Kent Live
A man from Tunbridge Wells died due to drinking alcohol with an overdose of prescribed drugs, an inquest has heard.
Peter Dyer, 55, lived on Somerset Road and was single before his death on February 3.
He suffered with his mental health from 1993 after an assault – when an off-licence shop he worked in was robbed.
Mr Dyer was also heavily affected by the loss of his former girlfriend who died from cancer 25 years ago.
Signing up to the KentLive newsletter means you'll get the latest news direct to your inbox twice a day.
It couldn't be simpler and it takes seconds – simply press here, enter your email address and follow the instructions. You can also enter your email address in the box below the picture on most desktop and mobile platforms.
You can also sign up to our website and comment on our stories by pressing here and signing in.
He had only discovered she was suffering with the condition when he asked her to marry him.
The medical report from Mr Dyer's GP revealed that he claimed songs he heard on the radio were targeting him and he thought people were looking at him.
He also reported having hallucinations and hearing voices in his head, but still had no intention of suicide.
The 55-year-old had a history of alcohol dependence, and Malcolm Norman, who lived in the same block of flats in Tunbridge Wells, wrote a statement describing how the events unfolded.
"I'd known Peter for about nine years, I could see he was a nervous person but I welcomed him," he said.
"When he came to visit I noticed after hearing him cough that his breath smelt of alcohol, so I asked him if he had been drinking.
"He replied and said yes, but it's cheap, and then described how he had taken too many pills, far more than he should."
"We then had a casual conversation talking about television and future plans, before he headed back to his flat."
The man who lived opposite Mr Dyer knocked on Mr Norman's door later that night asking if he had the key to his room because he had heard some shouting.
"I was stunned that he was not already dead," Mr Norman said.
"The pills had killed him because he had taken so many."
A light blue coloured bag was found at the scene, where nine empty packets of prescribed drugs were also discovered.
There was also a large two litre cider bottle which was empty.
You don't have to suffer in silence if you're struggling with your mental health. Here are some groups you can contact when you need help:
Samaritans: Phone 116 123, 24 hours a day, or email firstname.lastname@example.org, in confidence
Childline: Phone 0800 1111. Calls are free and won't show up on your bill
PAPYRUS: A voluntary organisation supporting suicidal teens and young adults. Phone 0800 068 4141
Depression Alliance: A charity for people with depression. No helpline but offers useful resources and links to other information on its website
Students Against Depression: A website for students who are depressed, have low mood, or are suicidal. Click here to visit
Bullying UK: A website for both children and adults affected by bullying. Click here
Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM): For young men who are feeling unhappy. Has a website here and a helpline: 0800 58 58 58
It was raised, however, that the casual conversation had between Mr Dyer and Mr Norman regarding future plans shows that there was perhaps no suicidal intention.
The pair were in discussion for over half-an-hour, and the 'too many pills' remark was almost said as a throw-away comment.
For that reason, assistant coroner Alan Blunsdon came to a narrative conclusion.
"It is clear that Peter had taken a fatal overdose but it is not possible to establish his motives," he said.
Sign up to get the latest stories from Kent direct in to your inbox here