Original article from Kent Live
Kent's abandoned railway stations have an eerie feeling about them.
Despite having such a historic background, the railway heritage has been left to suffer.
Some lines however, such as in Folkestone, have since been brought back to use, while others are left frozen in time.
Learning how busy the now disused stations once were and what they've become is fascinating.
Signing up to the KentLive newsletter means you'll get the latest news direct to your inbox twice a day.
It couldn't be simpler and it takes seconds – simply press here, enter your email address and follow the instructions. You can also enter your email address in the box below the picture on most desktop and mobile platforms.
You can also sign up to our website and comment on our stories by pressing here and signing in.
Here's a look back through the years at 10 disused railway stations in Kent that are no longer serving the masses.
New Romney and Littlestone-on-Sea
New Romney and Littlestone-on-Sea was a railway station which lay in between the villages of New Romney and Littlestone-on-Sea.
It closed back in 1967.
The station was opened by the Lydd Railway Company on 19 June 1884, the first day of passenger services on its three mile branch to New Romney from its existing line between Appledore and Dungeness.
At the time, a Victorian block of houses and hotels had been constructed in Littlestone-on-Sea in the hope of creating a seaside resort.
Both railway branches were served by the same train from Appledore; in some cases it went to either New Romney or Dungeness, in others, passengers for New Romney were left at Lydd while the train proceeded to Dungeness with the Lydd stationmaster who would sell tickets to passengers alighting there.
The train then returned to Lydd, dropped the Dungeness passengers there, and transported the New Romney passengers to their destination.
Although the trackbed from Romney Junction towards New Romney is easily traceable, nothing remains of New Romney and Littlestone-on-Sea station which has been obliterated by a small trading estate.
Ashford West was only open to passengers between 1884 and 1899, when it was the terminus of the Maidstone line.
When the South Eastern and Chatham Railway was formed, passenger services were transferred to South Eastern Railway's Ashford station.
The station was used for cattle and sheep traffic after it closed to passengers due to its close location to Ashford's cattle market.
It had three platforms and the station site was largely intact until 1999 when the HS1 was constructed.
Allhallows-on-Sea station was the railway station for Allhallows-on-Sea from 1932 to 1961.
It was opened partly on the 14 and fully on 16 May 1932. It had an island platform with a run-round loop. Originally the branch from Stoke Junction was single track, but it was doubled in 1935, and singled again in 1957.
The station closed in December 1961 and was demolished in 1975, although the listed water tank remains
Dover Western Docks
Dover has a long history of different railway stations, with Dover Priory now the only one remaining.
Most recently, the railway station at Dover Western Docks was open until British Rail closed it in 1994 due to the opening of the Channel Tunnel.
It is still used as a cruise liner terminal, but it used to be a large four platform terminus when it opened as Dover Marine for public use in 1919.
It was used prominently during World War I and during the Dunkirk evacuation of World War II.
Situated on Admirality Pier, it was renamed to Dover Western Docks in 1979 .
Dungeness railway station was opened in 1883 and took passengers almost to the foot of the lighthouse.
By linking the single platform station to London, it was hoped to develop Dungeness into a port to transport shingle over the Channel to France.
These proposals never materialised and in 1937, the station was closed to passengers after Southern Railway opened the new Lydd-on-Sea Halt railway station.
It continued to remain open for goods until 1953 and some of the track has now been converted into the main access road for the power station.
Folkestone Harbour station was originally opened in 1849 but was resited in 1956.
After two temporary closures coinciding with both World Wars, it eventually closed to passenger services in 2001 but remained in use for the Venice-Simplon Orient Express and other rail tours until 2009.
The line was officially closed in 2014.
After the closure, the Folkestone Harbour Company began refurbishing the site in 2016 and it now used as a walkway steeped in tradition.
Tilmanstone Colliery Halt
Tilmanstone Colliery Halt was a station on the East Kent Light Railway.
It opened on 16 October 1916 and was renamed Elvington in 1925.
Originally opened as Hope Mill for Goudhurst and Lamberhurst in October 1892, this railway station was renamed as simply Goudhurst two months later.
The two platform station was on the Hawkhurst branch line from Paddock Wood.
It was infamous for being a mile away from the village itself and on a 250ft high hill.
Goudhurst station was closed along with the line in 1961 and now the grounds are filled with a house named Haltwhistle.
Gravesend West railway station opened in 1886 and was a regular destination for boat trains from London to link with steamers on the station's pier to take passengers to other coastal towns.
Initially named Gravesend, then renamed Gravesend West Street in 1899 and then Gravesend West in 1949, the station had two platforms which were open to passengers until 1953.
Services were declining post-war but freight traffic continued until 1968.
The majority of the station was demolished in 1991 and the remaining section destroyed in 2006, with the pier the only remaining structure now.
Hythe railway station was positioned just after the railway crossed Blackhouse Hill.
On the Sandgate Branch line the station had two platforms, and a brick built station building.
It was ceremonially opened on 9 October 1874, and opened fully the next day. Being inland of the town it served the station was never popular.
Following the closure of the section to Sandgate station in 1931 the line to Sandling Junction was reduced to single track. Hythe closed in 1943 during the Second World War but was reopened in 1945. Hythe station was closed along with the line in 1951.
Now, the station area has been completely redeveloped for housing.
Teston Crossing Halt
Teston Crossing Halt was situated on what is now the Medway Valley Line, south of Maidstone, and served Teston and West Farleigh.
It opened on 1 September 1909 and closed on 2 November 1959.
The site of Teston Crossing Halt – between East Farleigh and Wateringbury, is about 200 yards (180 m) from the mediaeval Teston Bridge taking foot and road passengers across the river, one of only four such bridges between Maidstone and Paddock Wood.
Margate Sands railway station served Margate between 1846 and 1926 on the Kent Coast Line.
The two platform station was the terminus on the line from Ramsgate Town.
After its closure, the site was used as a car park and was even redeveloped as flats and an amusement arcade.
Opened in 1863, Ramsgate Harbour extended the Kent Coast Railway line to Herne Bay.
Initially called Ramsgate, then Ramsgate and St Lawrence-on-Sea in 1871 and then Ramsgate Harbour in 1899, the four platform station was very popular.
However, after a reorganisation of railway lines in Thanet, a new line was built and two new stations – Dumpton Park and Ramsgate – were opened in 1926, closing Ramsgate Harbour.
It has had many uses since, such as a funfair, the Tunnel Railway, and as an air raid shelter during World War II.
Tunbridge Wells West
Tunbridge Wells West railway station was opened in 1866, simply named Tunbridge Wells in competition with Tunbridge Wells Central.
The five platform station served Brighton and also London.
It was renamed as Tunbridge Wells West in 1923 and kept serving passengers until 1985.
The popular Spa Valley Railway now runs from a single platform on the site.
The derelict goods yard is now a Sainsbury's supermarket and the main building is a Smith & Western hotel.
Whitstable Harbour is the name of the three disused railway stations that used to serve as the terminus for the Canterbury and Whitstable Railway.
The original station was opened in Harbour Street in 1830, with a second station built in 1846 when South Eastern Railway took over.
A third station was built in 1895 but closed in 1931 and is now the home of Whitstable Health Centre.
The line continued to carry freight traffic until 1952, and now all evidence of the three stations has been removed.