Home Kent News Hundreds discovered breaching COVID rules at illegal warehouse rave

Hundreds discovered breaching COVID rules at illegal warehouse rave

Advertise here from £20*

Original article from Kent Live

A huge illegal rave in a Sydenham warehouse was broken up in the early hours of Sunday morning (May 29).

Nearby railway workers reported the sound of music coming from the Metro Business Centre in Kangley Bridge Road.

Police attended the scene, where hundreds of people were found to be illegally partying, many of whom appeared to be not wearing masks.

The rave completely disregarded current COVID rules, which cap indoor gatherings at six people or a maximum of two households.

Signing up to the KentLive newsletter means you'll get the latest news direct to your inbox twice a day.

It couldn't be simpler and it takes seconds – simply press here, enter your email address and follow the instructions. You can also enter your email address in the box below the picture on most desktop and mobile platforms.

You can also sign up to our website and comment on our stories by pressing here and signing in.

However, images from the scene show large groups of people clearly paying little attention to government guidelines.

Response officers from Bromley, Croydon and Lewisham, as well as dog handlers and Territorial Support Group officers arrived at around 2.30am to deal with the situation.

Riot police and dog handlers arrived at around 2.30am

Police at the scene said no arrests had yet been made, but enquiries as to who organised the event are currently ongoing.

A total of six police carriers were present, with officers trained in riot and public order situations in tow.

The sound system was shut off and attendees were ordered to leave.

Paramedics also attended the scene to help treat those with drug and drink-related illness.

The situation was made more complex by a handful of attendees fleeing the rave and heading onto nearby train tracks in an effort to evade the police.

Police say no arrests have been made but are working to find the organiser

The railway's electricity had to be turned off for officers to remove the 18 individuals who had run onto the tracks.

A spokesperson for the Met Police said: "Officers attended and found approximately 200 people inside a large warehouse.

"They engaged with the group who were made to disperse.

"Officers seized sound equipment and are carrying out enquiries to locate the organiser."

Original Article