Home Kent News Gas masks needed to inspect dad-of-five’s body after fatal stabbing

Gas masks needed to inspect dad-of-five’s body after fatal stabbing

Advertise here from £20*

Original article from Kent Live

A post-mortem examination of a man whose body had been doused by his alleged murderer in sulphuric acid had to be halted because of the risk to hospital staff, a jury has heard.

Pathologist Benjamin Swift said full PPE clothing, including heavy-duty gloves, a respirator and gas mask to prevent the inhalation of dangerous gases, had to be worn just to assess the external injuries to dad of five Stephen Chapman.

The 38-year-old had been stabbed in the head with a commando dagger and then dumped head-first in a wheelie bin and doused in acid by teenager George Knights in October last year.

Maidstone Crown Court, Kent, was told the fire service had to transport his body – still inside the bin – from 19-year-old Knights' home in Rochester to the mortuary at the Medway Maritime Hospital in Chatham.

Signing up to the KentLive newsletter means you'll get the latest news direct to your inbox twice a day.

It couldn't be simpler and it takes seconds – simply press here, enter your email address and follow the instructions. You can also enter your email address in the box below the picture on most desktop and mobile platforms.

You can also sign up to our website and comment on our stories by pressing here and signing in.

But before the post-mortem examination could begin, the fluids damaged a stainless steel body tray and melted the floor.

Giving evidence yesterday (May 26), Dr Swift described how 5ft 11in Mr Chapman was found head-down, wrapped in a bed sheet and with a heavily blood-stained towel.

He was asked by prosecutor Caroline Carberry QC if he had been able to perform a normal post-mortem on the body.

The pathologist told the jury: "A post-mortem would normally consist of a lengthy external examination of the body surface to look for injuries or wounds.

"That would be followed by an internal examination to look for further injuries. In this case I was only able to perform an external examination."

The post-mortem examination then had to be halted because of the lack of specialist facilities, the court heard.

"(It was stopped) because of the chemicals and the risk from the acid gases," explained the pathologist.

"There were no specialist facilities at the hospital for environmental monitoring, as well as the disposal of any fluids.

"Nor was there enough PPE for us to work safely in that environment. So the examination was stopped."

Fatally stabbed

He said enquiries were made to hospitals across the country but none were able to offer an alternative venue.

Dr Swift confirmed that all the acid-related damage to Mr Chapman's face, skull, brain and fingers had occurred after death.

The double-edged military knife was embedded in the right side of his head to a depth of 16cm, which would have required severe force, added Dr Swift.

He also told the jury that there were no defensive wounds on Mr Chapman's body, or any such as bruised or fractured knuckles to suggest he had struck out at an assailant.

Knights, a keen bodybuilder said by the court to run an amphetamine factory dubbed Superhuman Labs from his home in Delce Road, is alleged to have murdered Mr Chapman during a cocaine exchange.

The court heard that having fatally stabbed and tried to destroy the body, the teenager met up with friends and partied throughout the night, pausing simply to return home and take photos of the wheelie bin, with Mr Chapman's feet holding the lid ajar.

Tests following Knights' arrest the following day revealed he had taken a cocktail of illegal and prescription drugs, including seven types of steroids.

The trial continues.

Original Article