Home Kent News Pictures show charred remains of HGV after M20 lorry blaze

Pictures show charred remains of HGV after M20 lorry blaze

1
0
Advertise here from £20*

Original article from Kent Live

Shocking pictures have emerged which show the burned remains of a lorry on the M20.

The road has been blocked since this morning (May 22) as a result of the lorry fire.

Reports first emerged of the blaze at around 10.30am, and the M20 Londonbound has now been shut off for hours while the incident is dealt with by the emergency services.

The cause of the lorry fire is still unknown, but the incident has left the HGV with significant damage as firefighters worked to get the blaze under control.

Signing up to the KentLive newsletter means you'll get the latest news direct to your inbox twice a day.

It couldn't be simpler and it takes seconds – simply press here, enter your email address and follow the instructions. You can also enter your email address in the box below the picture on most desktop and mobile platforms.

You can also sign up to our website and comment on our stories by pressing here and signing in.

Kent Fire and Rescue Service has been at the scene for hours dampening the vehicle and clearing away debris.

The fire, which took place between junctions eight and nine in Ashford on the M20 Londonbound, has caused huge tailbacks more than two miles long.

The fire has caused serious delays on the M20

Several KentLive readers have told us they have been trapped in traffic "for hours" due to the fire.

However Highways England has said that journeys have been delayed by around 20 minutes.

The M20 coastbound was also closed for a time but has now fully reopened, though delays remain.

Follow our live blog here for the latest M20 traffic updates

The fire broke out earlier this morning (May 22) and has caused significant delays to traffic in the area.

Highways England says it does not expect the Londonbound lanes to be open for "several hours".

The roads agency is preparing to release the traffic stuck on the M20 – with many drivers having been stranded there for hours already.

Kent Police has confirmed that no-one was injured in the fire or the resulting traffic.

Kent Fire & Rescue attended the scene for more than three hours

And Kent Fire and Rescue Service has put out the fire, but say crews are still at the scene making it safe.

In a statement, the fire service said: "Five fire engines and a bulk water carrier attended, and crews wearing breathing apparatus put the fire out using compressed air foam and a hose reel jet.

"There were no reported injuries and the cause is not yet known."

Traffic has been blocked on the M20 for some time

The spokesman added: "The affected section of the M20 is set to remain closed for a number of hours while debris is cleared and the scene is made safe."

Shocking pictures show the charred remains of the lorry still stranded on the motorway, as well as the huge emergency services response to the blaze.

One KentLive reader who claimed to be at the scene of the crash wrote that all they could see was "black smoke".

They commented: "All I saw was black smoke. 3 fire engines went pass now specialist fire and rescue gone pasted followed by an ambulance must be bad."

Drivers have been encouraged to take a different route to avoid the M20 blockage.

The charred remains of the lorry were clear to see for all the drivers stuck in the opposite lane

Highways England said: "Kent Fire and Rescue Services are on scene along with Highways England Traffic Officers.

"Road users wishing to continue their westbound (London bound) are advised to exit the at J9 and follow the above diversion, in reserve and hollow, yellow square diversion symbol."

Original Article