Original article from Kent Live
A man from Tunbridge Wells has said his life fell apart almost instantly when he was accused of being a paedophile by a ‘hunting’ gang.
Now exonerated, Darrell Edmondson was confronted by a group in July who, while broadcasting the two-and-a-half-hour encounter live on the internet, claimed he had been trying to meet a child.
Kent Police arrested him and has now concluded its investigation. It will not be taking further action.
In a face-to-face interview with KentLive's sister paper, the Kent and Sussex Courier, Mr Edmondson painstakingly explained the events which led to him being caught up in a “nightmare” which saw him drive to Beachy Head with a plan to kill himself.
“It’s one of the most stressful, painful things,” he said. “I can’t put it into words. You know how old people can’t talk about the war because it’s too horrific? That’s how I felt about this. This is the first time I have talked about it.”
Mr Edmondson told the Courier that prior to the encounter he had joined two dating sites.
He said a woman had originally messaged him “out of the blue” and they text messaged each other during July. At one point she messaged him to say she would not be in touch for a while as colleagues were “losing their jobs”.
But she started messaging persistently on July 31 about meeting up that night – the day of the sting.
He agreed despite saying he was reluctant because he was still in his work clothes.
'They frog-marched me to the van'
“The woman I had gone to meet that evening had asked me to be outside a pub at 7pm in Maidstone,” he recalled.
“I had been working all day, it was the hottest day in July, I was in my work clothes and I didn’t really want to. I tried to put it off to the next day. But she said she had got her mum to look after her daughter.”
“I had been charging my phone at work in the office and left it. Someone said you’d better check your phone, it’s been going non-stop. There were six or seven missed phone calls. Loads of texts.
“They were about wanting to meet that night. I thought I was meeting a woman.
“Why would a child talk about having colleagues laid off from work and her mum going to look after her daughter?” he said.
“Once she sent me a picture of her in lingerie – the top half. I only used a basic phone, so the quality was not that great. She texted me first. I never sent any pictures.
"I never phoned her. I never asked to meet. To be honest, I wasn’t that bothered. When I get my phone back, I can show you the texts from her which were piling up.
"But when they frog-marched me to the van, there were about six or eight of them in a semi-circle, one woman, and I recognised her as the woman in that picture,” said Mr Edmonton, who said he never sent sexual-type messages.
Refuse to charge
The 49-year-old said he felt “relief” when the police arrived after a two-and-a-half hours’ “interrogation” at the back of the group’s van.
He was arrested and Kent Police confiscated Mr Edmondson’s mobile phone and two tablets for investigation.
When no action was taken against him by Kent Police, he was given a “refuse to charge” sheet on March 24 this year, which he always carries with him.
Mr Edmondson has been in communication with Tunbridge Wells MP Greg Clark and Facebook about the vigilante group which broadcasts its stings live via its Facebook page. But he has also raised the malicious use of profile photos and other details which are taken by others with devastating effects.
The former van driver said three days after the livestream, he lost his job of 17 years in Tunbridge Wells. He has been shunned by friends and even a family member, and also been shouted at in the street.
Mr Edmondson said the gang had a big A4 ring binder file “that thick”, full of photocopies of messages between a girl and another, which had his profile picture.
“The file they showed me, I knew nothing about them. It had been going on for months. It was not me. I had never seen that person. It was not until that night when I opened the file, that I saw the girl’s picture for the first time,” he said.
'I’m now totally isolated'
Having lost his job, Mr Edmondson is living on benefits and doesn’t know what the future holds for him.
He was born at Pembury Hospital and has always lived in Tunbridge Wells.
Before the incident, having worked as a van driver at the same firm for 17 years and before that for 13 years at the same company, he drove all over the south east and was surrounded by longstanding colleagues.
He said: “I’m now totally isolated. I am picking up the pieces but it’s basically stolen my life.”
The Courier has attempted to contact the group which carried out the sting.
Mr Edmondson believes he was targeted because someone had stolen his personal details and photograph from social media.
He told the Courier he had asked the woman when she first messaged him, on which of the two dating sites she had found his number, as he wanted to check if he had in fact put his number.
She eventually answered the question, sending him the name of a site he did not recognise.
He said he entered the name of the site in Google – which has no implications in the words it could be related to child abuse – but a plain-looking page came up with no photos, but simply a sign-in section.
But he said he “just had a sense” not to proceed and never entered the site.
“I just thought, this is as far as I want to go. This is not a dating site. And if it is, I am already on two, I don’t need another. It just doesn’t feel right. I remember later when I was sitting in the cell and I sat and thought about it all night, it just felt like a set up.”
Police warn people not to take law into their own hands
Detective Chief Inspector Heather Thompson, who leads the county’s Paedophile Online Investigation Team, told the Courier: “Keeping children safe is a top priority for Kent Police and significant resources are dedicated to tackling this issue.
“The force has specialist detectives working in the Paedophile Online Investigation Team who are trained to work in this field and have the skills and resources needed to carry out investigations in the most appropriate way. In 2020 they arrested 225 people.
“We understand that crimes involving children and sexual offences are very emotive but I would urge those who have information about alleged offences to contact us and not take the law into their own hands.
“Some people within online child activist groups are taking risks they do not understand – revealing the identity of suspected paedophiles can give them the opportunity to destroy evidence before we can investigate.
Signing up to the KentLive newsletter means you'll get the latest news direct to your inbox twice a day.
It couldn't be simpler and it takes seconds – simply press here, enter your email address and follow the instructions. You can also enter your email address in the box below the picture on most desktop and mobile platforms.
You can also sign up to our website and comment on our stories by pressing here and signing in.
“Their actions could also jeopardise ongoing police investigations or work being carried out by undercover officers and put children at risk as groups have no way of safeguarding child victims.
“Furthermore the actions of the groups can create the need to divert significant resources towards protecting suspects, rather than investigating, and prosecuting them.
“It is also worth noting that they could wrongly accuse someone which can have a devastating impact on innocent people and their families.
“Finally, some of the people targeted by online child activist groups have had severe learning difficulties and other mental health issues and have been placed at significant risk.
“In terms of actual investigations, when dealing with these groups, the quality of evidence often makes it difficult for police to carry out their duties.
“Groups can fail to provide devices for download and do not capture evidence in the correct manner, which can undermine prosecutions.
“We have established reporting processes, such as calling 101 or 999, to raise concerns about a child being groomed, meaning there is no requirement to carry out a ‘sting’ and I would urge people to follow this process and work with us to protect vulnerable people."