Home Kent News M20 finally reopens after British Army declares scene safe

M20 finally reopens after British Army declares scene safe

2
0
Advertise here from £20*

Original article from Kent Live

The M20 is being reopened following a police incident that involved "explosive experts" being called in from the army.

The road was closed for most of the day following an incident earlier — around 11.25am – when police made "tactical contact" with a vehicle.

They said the vehicle in question had been travelling at "excess speed" and then failed to stop.

The British Army’s Explosive Ordnance Disposal team also attended the scene "as a precautionary measure".

Press here to follow the updates from the scene as they happened

Police said it related to concerns about "the security of the subject vehicle", which has subsequently been declared safe and removed from the carriageway.

A spokesman said: "Kent Police wishes to thank everyone for their patience and understanding whilst the motorway was closed".

At 2.40pm, police tweeted that the carriageway remained closed in both directions: "Explosives experts from the British Army are also present as a precautionary measure following concerns about the security of the subject vehicle".

A Kent Police spokesman said: "Shortly after 11.25am on Sunday 25 April 2021 officers attempted to stop a vehicle travelling at excess speed on the M20 coastbound near Junction 12.

"The vehicle did not stop and exited the motorway before returning onto the London-bound carriageway.

"It was pursued to Junction 9 where a police car made tactical contact with the vehicle, bringing it to a stop with no injuries reported.

"A 27-year-old man from Wales was arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving and failing to stop for police.

"The motorway has been closed to allow for the carriageway to be made safe for road users, who are advised to find alternative routes if possible."

People can follow the latest updates as they come in on our live blog below.

Original Article