Original article from Kent Live
A mum from Chatham has issued a warning to dog owners after her little Chihuahua needed life-saving treatment.
Two-year-old Bailey tucked into a milk chocolate Easter egg – a tasty treat for humans but a potentially deadly snack for dogs.
PDSA vet teams treat hundreds of chocolate poisoning cases in their pet hospitals every year, so the charity is urging pet owners to be vigilant.
Mother-of-five Tracy said she knew something was desperately wrong when Bailey started acting strangely.
Untold Stories – a new newsletter bringing together the very best journalism about and for our underserved and minority communities from across the south east.
Simply press here to enter your email address and get news, features and plenty more besides direct to your inbox.
And subscribe to the KentLive newsletter here for the latest breaking news and updates.
She said: "He became really lethargic and just wasn’t himself.
"Soon after I found torn-up Easter egg foil with all the chocolate gone, so I knew he needed to be seen urgently.
"I’m very careful with chocolate around our dogs as I know it’s poisonous for them, but my seven-year-old son had hidden an egg under a pillow thinking Bailey wouldn’t be able to find it."
Tracy, 39, rang PDSA immediately when the incident happened last year and they advised her to bring him straight in.
Bailey was rushed in as an emergency and given treatment to induce vomiting in a bid to stop any more of the toxins being absorbed.
His small breed size means that even small amounts of chocolate can be deadly.
PDSA senior vet Soo Ming Teoh said: "We estimated that Bailey had eaten about half an Easter egg, which is an extremely dangerous amount for a dog of his very small size, therefore we knew he was at risk of serious disturbances to his heart rhythm or even seizures.
"Thankfully he was brought in very quickly and we were able to give him life-saving treatment before too much of the toxin got into his system.
"He needed close monitoring and intravenous fluid support due to an increased heart rate, likely caused by the amount of chocolate he’d eaten.
"But after a few hours of observation and treatment, he was able to go home with instructions to keep a close eye on him overnight."
Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine, which is toxic to dogs.
According to PDSA, signs a pet may have eaten chocolate can include: excessive thirst, vomiting, diarrhoea, a tender tummy and restlessness.
These can then progress to tremors, an abnormal heart rhythm, raised body temperature and rapid breathing.
In small breeds like Bailey, the effects of chocolate poisoning can be extremely severe even if only a small amount is eaten.
In severe cases, chocolate poisoning in dogs can cause fits and even death. The higher the cocoa content of the chocolate, the more dangerous it is, so dark chocolate poses the biggest risk to pets.
Tracy said: "We’re so grateful to all of the staff at PDSA. It was devastating when it all happened and I dread to think what would have happened to Bailey without them.
"It took him a little while to fully recover from his ordeal but thankfully he is back to his usual self now and we’re keeping chocolate well out of reach so we don’t have to go through this scary experience again."
If owners suspect their dog has ingested chocolate, they should call their local vet immediately and let them know the type of chocolate, how much they have eaten and when.
PDSA is also warning people about other popular Easter foods that can be toxic to pets, including hot cross buns as well as the dangers of some spring plants at this time of year, such as daffodils and lilies.
PDSA vets advise owners to store chocolates and other potentially poisonous foods in the same way as medicines when they have pets in their household – safely and securely.
For more information and advice visit: www.pdsa.org.uk/poisons.